Monday, February 17, 2014

Constructing a Circle Map by hand

For about a week in my math class, we worked on statistics and probability using m&ms. We then had to construct a circle map using the class data based on the number of m&ms there were for each color. It seems like there are two ways to create a pie chart. One way of calculating is by using proportions and degrees of the circle. Then you would have to use a compass and a protractor to draw accurate sectors. Here is a link that explains more about constructing it in this manner.

The next way of constructing a circle map is drawing a bar graph with the given data. Once you are done drawing the bar graph, cut out the strips and connect them to form a circle. Then place the circle on a piece of paper to trace the circle and also draw out the sectors for each variable. It might sound weird, but this way is also mathematically correct. My hypothesis is because connecting the bars makes the circumference of the circle and each bar is the arc of the circle. Therefore, making the pie chart almost accurate. The reason I say almost is because there might be some minor errors when drawing the bars or when tracing the circle.These were the strips that my partner and I connected in order to form a circle. Ours turned out too big that my partner was able to wrap it around her arm thrice!
These were the strips that my partner and I connected in order to form a circle. Our strips turned out to be too long that my partner was able to wrap it around her arm thrice!

This is our pie graph that we made based off the strips. We had to use four white papers to construct it!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Ines. You explained and showed the process good. I remember doing this activity and making the graph in class, but my partner and I messed up on ours so it didn't come out properly. I actually am excited to try making one again, so I will save your post as a guide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post about making the pie chart. I really thought it was engaging and had a lot of relevance. Who would have known that you could use a bar graph to make a accurate pie chart? All in all the whole experiment was fun using the data from the m&m data we gathered as a class. I think that kids will really enjoy this activity and it will be something that they will remember always. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete